Sunday, October 21, 2007

First Impressions

If you have never experienced a tactical landing of a US Air Force C-130 plane you haven’t lived! There is nothing like purposefully dropping thousands of feet in altitude while heavily banking that just gets to you. Looking around and seeing the various looks of shock, terror, and enjoyment on the faces of my fellow servicemen and women brought a smile to my face. However, this small pleasure was halted as I disembarked the aircraft and placed my foot on Iraqi soil for the first time.

In the distance you could see the aftermath of a fairly large IED. Smoke rising and gunfire sounding as we walked into the military airport terminal. How is that for a hello and welcome to Iraq…? Reality has just sunk in.

I am here. This is real.

I am currently waiting to be transported to my final destination, which I have been told is the safest place to be. A little place we like to call the International Zone. The same compound which houses the US embassy.

Well, my transportation just arrived. I will write more once I get to where I am going.

No comments: