Wednesday, December 26, 2007

painting the town...

To me there is nothing more intimidating than a blank page, a blank canvas, or unexposed film. My mind racing with the limitless possibilities, and the self consciousness of letting my reader, critics, or audience down.

“Should I say this or that?”

“How do I convey my thoughts in a way that others will understand… in a way that I will understand?”

And so it goes until at last, I have filled the pages with smudges of ink… placed paint upon canvas… exposed light onto film. Very often happily surprised with the results, other times learning more about myself through the beautiful mistakes made in the process.

Like many before me, I view this life I lead as a blank canvas. A piece of fabric stretched and framed within the boundaries we have placed upon ourselves. And with every new decision, mistake, or triumph another piece of that canvas is painted in, until it seems we have no where else to go, no blank space left to paint.

Many use this opportunity to cover up things from the past, hiding the brush strokes that define where they came from, who they were, or may still be. Others simply have too much life to live, wanting to embrace it all… stretching their canvas to fit within a larger frame. Learning and growing, pushing the boundaries for a lifetime.

I’d like to think that I am more of the latter, but I know this is not always true. The energy and attitude required to stand up to such a task can be daunting. Often impaired by paranoid thought, or fear of failure, we paint ourselves into a box...unable to escape from these self defined parameters.

Let this New Year be a ground breaking year for us all. May we find the courage to break free of our own restraints. May we all be able to face the future with the idea of expanding our borders and embracing who we are rather than painting over the past.

So, the next time you stand in front of a blank page… a blank canvas… unexposed film… Fill them all with the words, paintings, and images of life. Exposing who you are and where you come from without hesitation. Pushing the boundaries while creating the greatest masterpiece you possibly can.

We are all artists.

We are all poets.

May 2008 be the year you learn to expose the beauty and expand the borders of this canvas we call life.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

and some stretch their canvas till it's paper thin and need some more space to express themselves before they go crazy. Some of us have endless canvas and no frame to define it and we are totally lost and confused at the lack of boundaries.

I hope none of you go crazy and cut your ear off and hand it to your lover in a shoe box!

wishing all of us some peace of mind...

Tammy, Garrett, and Carson said...

you have a beautiful mind and inspire me with your words and pictures. Never be intimidated, you are truly gifted Aaron
~Tammy