Wednesday, December 5, 2007

resolutions and introspection...

The days have been growing surprisingly chilly. I came prepared for 130 degree days, but instead I have so far been blessed with mild days and cool nights.
The temperature difference is indicative of my time here in Iraq. Expecting one thing, yet getting another.

December is already upon us and it feels as though just yesterday it was July. This time of year always seems to get me thinking. Maybe it's the change of weather, or possibly just the spirit of the holidays that always seems to spark the desire for change within ones self. This year is no different than the last.

With the new year comes the thoughts of new possibilities, new dreams, and new hope to accomplish dreams from years past. Along with the new comes the self inflicted guilt of unaccomplishment. It can usually be found creeping around the back door of my brain. Waiting for the inopportune time to knock and make its presence known.

The introspection involved in times such as these can either be used to push on towards accomplishment or weigh us down, drowning us in self pity.

Now, I know this may seem like a premature ejaculation of thoughts. Already brooding over a year that has not yet passed, and looking forward to the year to come, but it's whats on my mind these days. For once I am not having any of these self loathing thoughts. I can feel the electricity of opportunity in the air!

There are great things happening in my life right now. And although it may take a fair amount of time before these aspirations come to fruition, I know in the end they will. Providing me with the closing pages to one chapter of my life, while opening another.

1 comment:

Sarah Kay said...

Hey friend! I wrote something just like this at the beginning of December. How odd. Opposite ends of the country, same thoughts invading ...

I hope you are well out there.