Saturday, December 1, 2007

coffee black and egg white.

I'm sitting in my office, it's a Wednesday afternoon. Adam Duritz is telling me that maybe this year will be better than the last, as Christmas lights are flashing, blink..blink..blinkity..blink, in the office next to me. The flashing reflections reminding me of what I am missing... of what waits for me.

I know she is there, peacefully sleeping as I write these words. Maybe she's dreaming of me, as I often dream of her.

Lately it's been raining, the water and winter chill creeping it's way into her life. Soaking her to the bone with thoughts of loneliness, as I stand on the banks of a river far away, out of arms reach.

It's never easy, never has been. Giving thanks for someone who isn't there, someone you share your heartbeat with. Yet, she wakes every morn saying a prayer of thanks for who she is and what she has.

She shuffles about her apartment not yet fully awake, needing her morning coffee.

If only I could be there to pour her a cup.

I miss her.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

"A long December and there's reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last. I can't remember the last thing that you said as you were leaving. Oh' the days go by so fast..."

2 comments:

Tammy, Garrett, and Carson said...

I understand all too much....you are in mine and Tammy's prayers..see you soon brother

Sarah Kay said...

Adam, man ... he's like some sort of prophet, is he not? The dude just freaks me out sometimes!

But what I really mean to say is whether tangibly with her or not right now, part (or most) of you is definitely there. Definitely. That's the thing about souls who bond for life ...