Saturday, March 22, 2008

Threesome at Saddam's house...anyone?


I awoke early yesterday. Wiping the sleep from my eyes, I quietly packed a few of my things before heading out the door. The sun was just beginning to rise as I left my room and walked through the palace courtyard. This was going to be a good day.

As I approached the Republican Palace Pool people were already starting to gather around. They were marking their bodies with race numbers, stretching, spinning on their bikes, etc. You know, the normal routine seen at every other triathlon around the world. But, wait...we're in Baghdad!

I must admit I have run some triathlons in some fairly abnormal conditions. Hell, my very first triathlon ever was in a swamp down in Louisiana, where a Game Warden had to flush out all of the alligators in the area before we could start the swim. Although that ranks high on my list of strange places to compete, swimming, biking, and running in Saddam Hussein's backyard takes the cake.

So, here we are in the middle of Baghdad kicking off the Baghdad Triathlon Club's 2008 season. Gotta love this stuff! Since Baghdad has had a surprisingly chilly winter, yes it actually snowed this winter, water temperatures were holding steady at about 64 degrees! Shockingly no one had wetsuits so we did a reverse tri, with the order of events being run, bike, and then swim. The idea behind this was to help speed things along by allowing the run and bike to spread the field so that no one would be stuck waiting to get into the pool. This event order also allowed the temperatures to rise a little, making the jump into the water a little less shocking to our bodies. This sounds good in theory, but trust me, that water was damn cold!

Before I get ahead of myself, let us start in the beginning...



45 of us gathered at the starting line to begin the race on foot. It was a quick 1.5 mile out and back winding through the dust and gravel of the US Embassy compound within the "Green Zone". The run went quickly and before you knew it we were transitioning to the bike. Much like our wetsuits, most left their tri bikes back in the states as well. To accommodate for this we rode in 2 divisions, those who had their mountain bikes and townies did a quick 4 mile double loop very similar to the run route, while others, like myself, hopped on a trusty stationary bike to pedal our way through the 4 miles. I used this opportunity to draft behind the former "Blue Angel", Rear Admiral Driscoll. That's me in the yellow "Livestrong" jersey right behind the Admiral.



After the quick ride on my stationary steed it was in to the cold water of the pool. Luckily the swim was only 250 Meters. I was in and out before I knew it. After exiting the water it was over. My first race of 2008 is under my belt, and I did it in Baghdad no doubt! I think this is going to be the start of a very good season.


The best thing about this race was getting to be around the people. The race director David Moore is a God send.(That's him in the Army shirt pre-race!) He coordinated this race in conjunction with a race being held in Manassas, Virginia. You can read all about it here. Not only did the guys in Virginia sponsor this race, they treated us not only to an official race packet, but they also donated tons of other goodies for us. In every packet a brand new TYR Triathlon Race Suit was included! They provided this, along with many other things, for free! If I ever make it out to Manassas again I will be sure to stop by and thank these guys personally. This was just another example of the love and support shown to the Military Men and Women by the American people. Thank you guys for always being there!

Serving in Baghdad has been quite an interesting journey for me. As my time is drawing to an end I can't help but to think about how I have changed. Wondering how this time has truly affected my life. Since I am already on the topic of triathlons, let me say this...

I am viewing this time here as a transition area so to speak. Completing one aspect in the race of life, while transitioning into the next. Perhaps my life hasn't always gone as planned, but most races never do. It's all about what you do to overcome those challenges that defines who you are. This analogy is one of the reasons that I love triathlon. It not only helps overcome physical challenges, but it helps you overcome life's challenges as well. It's days like today that make me come back for more...one more swim...one more ride...one more run. Further preparing me for the ever changing conditions I face traveling through the course of life.

Thank you Baghdad Triathlon Club, here's to a great season!

1 comment:

Michael said...

Looking good brother. Hang in there - another week-and-a-half! Come home safe